The internet is an invaluable resource for your child's education but only when used appropriately.
For more information please consult webwise.ie
Advice for parents click here
Videos for parents click here
Apps Explained for Parents click here This is very important for parents explaining how parents need to be vigilant in relation to what their child is doing online particularly those with open access to either a parent/guardian of family member's mobile device.
WhatsApp read here
UPDATE: WhatsApp has changed its terms of service, raising the minimum age at which you can use the service from 13 to 16 years of age across Europe. Under the new E.U General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Ireland has now set the Digital Age of Consent to 16 years old. This means young people under the age of 16 in Ireland are not allowed to access this platform.
Webwise 10 top tips for parents
- Discover the internet together.
- Agree with your child rules for internet use.
- Encourage your child to be careful when disclosing personal information.
- Talk about the risks associated with meeting online friends.
- Teach your child that not all information on the internet is correct.
- Remember that it is not always their fault if they come across inappropriate content on the web.
- Report online material that you think may be illegal to appropriate authorities (e.g www.hotline.ie)
- Encourage respect for others (such as posting comments on Facebook/Twitter/Google+ etc.)
- Know your child's internet use.
- Remember that the positives outweigh the negative aspects of the internet.
A comprehensive list of webwise publications for internet safety can be accessed here.
- No child will ever be named alongside a photograph on this website. This has always been school policy as part of the Acceptable Use Policy.
- In this blog you will find links to external websites. Although we do make every effort to ensure these links are accurate, up to date and relevant, our school cannot take responsibility for pages maintained by external providers.